Matchday thread vs Wrexham

EV
Re: Matchday thread vs Wrexham

Post by EV » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Preston, as mentioned in the preview of yesterday's game Ross has an achilles injury.

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:49 am

EV wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:23 am
Hi Preston, as mentioned in the preview of yesterday's game Ross has an achilles injury.
Thanks for that 👍

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:14 am

Wrexham set up as two lines of 4, not letting the wingers get too far forward, and it was always going to be tough to break them down. Thought they looked solid and will be hard to beat this season.

We never really got into our passing game, and with Hungbo completely anonymous and Rowe having one of his ‘usual’ days (instead of the very occasional good one that some feel is enough), we didn’t look likely to open Wrexham up.

Credit to our back four, very solid and the goal came from Young getting too much space in midfield. Alfy was stuck to him first half and I wonder if he would have had so much freedom if it wasn’t for the injury?

Coverage was ok, hard to see some of it, but the ref’s errors were there for all to see. What a jobsworth he was as well! Funny listening to Dixie McNeil getting completely carried away with the takeover at half time, think he was on the sauce!

Important to bounce back from this, get Kandi in the side and if Alfy is out then play Rowe in the 10 role and put Edser alongside Rees.

MidlandsShot

Post by MidlandsShot » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am

The break before our next game gives a bit of time for some of the injured players to recover. I think the defence has been pretty solid without JSW and Finney, with Phillips being an excellent signing, but Tanner is a huge loss of quality in attack, while we're still to see the best from Ross...

One change I would like to see is Bettamer playing more centrally. I think playing him out wide reduces his chances of getting a goal, I'd love him in the box getting on the end of crosses. Not an easy decision as Panayiotou has been important with his pressing game and his finishing seems to have improved. Could we perhaps switch to a 4-4-2, or maybe a 3-5-2 if it turns out that Tanner is out for a while? Or maybe just move Harry out wide and Mo into the middle?

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:02 pm

MidlandsShot wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:52 am
The break before our next game gives a bit of time for some of the injured players to recover. I think the defence has been pretty solid without JSW and Finney, with Phillips being an excellent signing, but Tanner is a huge loss of quality in attack, while we're still to see the best from Ross...

One change I would like to see is Bettamer playing more centrally. I think playing him out wide reduces his chances of getting a goal, I'd love him in the box getting on the end of crosses. Not an easy decision as Panayiotou has been important with his pressing game and his finishing seems to have improved. Could we perhaps switch to a 4-4-2, or maybe a 3-5-2 if it turns out that Tanner is out for a while? Or maybe just move Harry out wide and Mo into the middle?
Interesting points raised Midland - I suppose one big concern with the injuries that are now mounting up is what happens if the loan players are recalled by their parent clubs?

Agree with you regarding Mo Betts. Playing him out on the wing is likely to reduce his goal threat, and, let`s face it, we don`t have an out & out goalscorer in the side at the moment. As you also allude to, Tanner will be a huge loss with the options he gives in attack, as he is always likely to score= or set up an assist with the quality he has having played at a higher level. I don`t quite know what to make of Harry P.... my initial thoughts were was he of NL level on a consistent basis?? Time will tell I guess.

Getting away from tactics for a moment- my biggest concern for the Club & the fans is that the season does not fizzle out by Xmas. It will be very difficult for rest of the season if we find ourselves in a lower mid table position with nowt to play for.

For me, and I`m sure many others what we all need is being re energised with enthusiasm. Anyways having a break next weekend may give us breathing space before the away game at Chesterfield...and a reunion with our fabulous striker John Dungworth.. great memories!!

Alex

Post by Alex » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:38 pm

It’s not rocket science

Managers don’t want to give away team info to the opposition

CH

Post by CH » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:54 pm

Highlights courtesy of the National league

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/ma ... /1-6405324

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:38 am

collieboy

Post by collieboy » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Watching the highlights back, there player took out our keeper when he came outside the box to clear 2nd half, reckon he should of gone, dangerous play

Preston Shot

Post by Preston Shot » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:56 pm

Also looking at the highlights our first half performance was non existent