Cessation of season at Steps 3 & 4

Old Bob
Cessation of season at Steps 3 & 4

Post by Old Bob » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:35 pm

No one seems to have mentioned this, but on Friday the Southern, Northern and Isthmian (ex-Ryman) leagues published this joint statement stating their view "that the season should cease immediately and be declared null and void": https://www.isthmian.co.uk/pitching-in- ... ment-64923.

Given that some of their clubs have only played 4 games so far, and all fixtures are postponed up to 6 March at least, it's difficult to see what else could possibly happen.

MikeB
Re: Cessation of season at Steps 3 & 4

Post by MikeB » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm

I don't know why they tried to start a new season. Would have made more sense to try to complete last season.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am

MikeB wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm
I don't know why they tried to start a new season. Would have made more sense to try to complete last season.
I think there's quite a bit of hindsight there, Mike!

There was a fighting chance that this season could have been completed OK. Remember back to how things were when the decision was made. There was quite a lot of optimism around. Things were opening up again. The second wave was only probable/possible, not certain. The new variants recently found here and in South Africa were not foreseen.

In my opinion, it would have made no sense whatsoever to try to complete last season at this lower level. Don't forget there is promotion and relegation to consider, so you have to take account of what is happening in the leagues above and the leagues below. The Premier League is always going to dictate things both because of their (obscene) power and because they don't have to consider promotion. So their decisions strongly influenced what was possible and sensible lower down the pyramid. But even they have to fall in line with what is decided about the Champions League and the Europa League.

Imagine the situation where Steps 3 & 4 decided to complete last season this season, and all had gone swimmingly well ... no second wave, no problems, all games going ahead at all levels. They would then have completed last season halfway through this season and then what? They would have been out of step with the leagues above and below. When would promotion and relegation have taken place? What would they have done for the remainder of the season? What about player contracts?

Starting the new season with the hope of completing it was always an article of faith, but was making the best of a bad situation.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:41 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am
MikeB wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:50 pm
I think there's quite a bit of hindsight there, Mike!

There was a fighting chance that this season could have been completed OK. Remember back to how things were when the decision was made. There was quite a lot of optimism around. Things were opening up again. The second wave was only probable/possible, not certain. The new variants recently found here and in South Africa were not foreseen.

In my opinion, it would have made no sense whatsoever to try to complete last season at this lower level. Don't forget there is promotion and relegation to consider, so you have to take account of what is happening in the leagues above and the leagues below. The Premier League is always going to dictate things both because of their (obscene) power and because they don't have to consider promotion. So their decisions strongly influenced what was possible and sensible lower down the pyramid. But even they have to fall in line with what is decided about the Champions League and the Europa League.

Imagine the situation where Steps 3 & 4 decided to complete last season this season, and all had gone swimmingly well ... no second wave, no problems, all games going ahead at all levels. They would then have completed last season halfway through this season and then what? They would have been out of step with the leagues above and below. When would promotion and relegation have taken place? What would they have done for the remainder of the season? What about player contracts?

Starting the new season with the hope of completing it was always an article of faith, but was making the best of a bad situation.
Yes, I have to admit you're making some good points there. I was writing with the benefit of 20-20 (Ho Ho) hindsight.