And now, in the far reaches of the football galaxy

Post by Birdman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm

Old Bob
Re: And now, in the far reaches of the football galaxy

Post by Old Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 pm

Birdman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm
The FA Cup 4th round draw :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55622538
Why does the BBC always big up all-Premier League ties? Surely the essence of the cup is matches between clubs that would not usually face each other, with the potential for upset that it throws up. To my mind, the tie of the round is NOT Manchester United v Liverpool, it's Cheltenham Town v Manchester City. Wycombe v Spurs also looks tasty, as does Brentford v Leicester ... two slick footballing sides in good form in their respective divisions.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:55 pm

Old Bob wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:46 pm
Birdman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm
The FA Cup 4th round draw :- https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55622538
Why does the BBC always big up all-Premier League ties? Surely the essence of the cup is matches between clubs that would not usually face each other, with the potential for upset that it throws up. To my mind, the tie of the round is NOT Manchester United v Liverpool, it's Cheltenham Town v Manchester City. Wycombe v Spurs also looks tasty, as does Brentford v Leicester ... two slick footballing sides in good form in their respective divisions.
Because the BBC doesn’t have all that much live club football and has to make the most of their ‘Super Sunday’-style matches when they get the chance? Also, the big clubs get better viewers?

I agree with you though; would much rather watch Cheltenham v Man City. Thought the Marine game would have re-inspired the ‘romance’ of the cup.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm

I'll happily go along with Brentford vs Leicester , but Cheltenham will be onto a hiding and I can't see Wycombe putting up much against Spurs given how often they get rolled over in the league.
I have heard about the magic of the cup but it is a real rarity to see a lowly side knock out a decent, top 8 side. The last I can recall was Bradford (L1) beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. It's great when it happens.

Whilst I don't quite get the bigging up of ties like Burnley vs Brighton, I'd be lying if I said the prospect of United Vs Liverpool wasn't appealing and I'd certainly be more interested in that game over City sticking 6 past Cheltenham.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm
I'll happily go along with Brentford vs Leicester , but Cheltenham will be onto a hiding and I can't see Wycombe putting up much against Spurs given how often they get rolled over in the league.
I have heard about the magic of the cup but it is a real rarity to see a lowly side knock out a decent, top 8 side. The last I can recall was Bradford (L1) beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. It's great when it happens.

Whilst I don't quite get the bigging up of ties like Burnley vs Brighton, I'd be lying if I said the prospect of United Vs Liverpool wasn't appealing and I'd certainly be more interested in that game over City sticking 6 past Cheltenham.
What about Crawley 3 Leeds 0 yesterday?

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Its all garbage i just want too see Aldershot v Anybody Utd.

Bob

Post by Bob » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:44 pm

Doesn’t matter who’s playing who, the football association challenge cup is well and truly gone, blokes under 35 must think what’s all the fuss about it being previously great but I’m sure their dad’s will confirm it.
Talking of Brentford v Leicester they played each other last season ironically enough the day we visited Dover!

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 pm

I can't wait for Chelsea v Luton . What a cracker .

Crowthorne

Post by Crowthorne » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:45 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:29 pm
I can't wait for Chelsea v Luton . What a cracker .
And just a mile down the road Fulham v Burnley should be a classic as well.