Coming to a burger van near you. Mmm Mmm Mmmm

Birdman
Coming to a burger van near you. Mmm Mmm Mmmm

Post by Birdman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:37 pm

Richard Petty
Re: Coming to a burger van near you. Mmm Mmm Mm

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:47 pm

One of those foods where you don't want to be reading the ingredient list on the packet.

Funny how we struggle to eat insects whilst many people happily eat snails without batting an eyelid. I have eaten cooked insects abroad so as not to look a wuss when others were brave enough to do so but not an experience I would seek out.

redandbluescb
Re: Coming to a burger van near you. Mmm Mmm Mmmm

Post by redandbluescb » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:03 pm

No thank you.

Anon E Mouse
Re: Coming to a burger van near you. Mmm Mmm Mm

Post by Anon E Mouse » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:09 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:47 pm
One of those foods where you don't want to be reading the ingredient list on the packet.

Funny how we struggle to eat insects whilst many people happily eat snails without batting an eyelid. I have eaten cooked insects abroad so as not to look a wuss when others were brave enough to do so but not an experience I would seek out.
Not sure how many people happily eat snails without batting an eyelid in this country Richard.

A long time ago I once ate a snail with its shell removed. Left me feeling a bit sluggish. (Whoops wrong thread) .. :)

Statto

Post by Statto » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 pm

No worse than what I've eaten in Thailand or Vietnam 8)

karlready

Post by karlready » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Statto wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:39 pm
No worse than what I've eaten in Thailand or Vietnam 8)
Street food in Indonesia. Locust kebab, crunchy, earthy, needed a bit more salt.

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:44 pm

Years back I always watched the pre famous Hugh Ferney Whittensall "Cook on the Wild Side" just to see what the hell he'd eat. He did make woodlouse fritters once .but I don't think the Woodlice added much to the flavour. His worst was placenta Pizza , but he did stupidly once ask "we eat snails, so why not slugs ?" Even at the time I thought we've eaten snails for centuries, I think through those hundreds of years someone would have tried slugs and declared them inedible. Old Hugh got his slugs , found them a bit slimy and gritty and after several attempts concluded.....that slugs were inedible.
Though I did read once that if you're stuck in the Serengeti or the like, you can survive eating termites as they are full of protein. Or you could just wait by an ant hill until Hugh Ferney Whittensall comes on his bike to cook them and ask for a lift back to civilisation.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Coming to a burger van near you? Have long thought it probably has already!

Actually, I don't know who on here may remember good old British Rail's "Casey Jones" burgers back in the 1980s?

I had a "Mushroom" burger at Kings Cross once! Well what's wrong with that? Erm, they didn't do Mushroom burgers and it was mould! 🤢

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Fuggletim wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Actually, I don't know who on here may remember good old British Rail's "Casey Jones" burgers back in the 1980s?

I had a "Mushroom" burger at Kings Cross once! Well what's wrong with that? Erm, they didn't do Mushroom burgers and it was mould! 🤢
Used to love a Casey Jones half pounder at Waterloo for breakfast before a busy day on the PWay.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm
Fuggletim wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 pm

Used to love a Casey Jones half pounder at Waterloo for breakfast before a busy day on the PWay.
To be fair "KJ" wasn't too bad usually. The secret I found to getting a fresh one was to ask for it without pickles and they would do it from scratch!

Working at Waterloo a lot, I always used to go across to "Caesars" restaurant across in Waterloo Road (Where the Sainsbury's is now). They used to do a 1/2 pounder chargrilled steak burger which was lush! Problem is you had to wait about 1/4 hour usually!

Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:29 pm

Food is food...get over it.

Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm

You guys will need to read the labels on the food that you eat from now on. When it says “animal protein” you will now know what it means!

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:32 pm

Ian Rust wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:34 pm
You guys will need to read the labels on the food that you eat from now on. When it says “animal protein” you will now know what it means!
Don’t give a shiny one what’s in it. Taste is everything.
Last edited by Turnkey on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 pm

I think you'll find that mealworms are fed human waste where they are bred on a commercial scale

Jason

Post by Jason » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:25 am

It's funny how many people are saying this sounds disgusting and the "yuck" factor even mentioned within the headline title.

Meat is only eaten based on the cultural "story" that we've been told, not even necessarily on taste and certainly not on actual NEED. I know several people that have eaten insect burgers and have actually said they taste quite nice and having done some reading on it, you actually get quite a lot of protein and iron out of them (something people always say they need to eat meat for!)

But the "story" we've been told in this part of the world is that cows, pigs, sheep, chickens are good to eat. Other animals are bad to eat.
Yet in parts of Asia insects are absolutely fine and indeed eating cows and pigs would be wrong.
In parts of Asia you might eat dog and cat, yet we have angry protests about the Yulin dog festival for instance.
In South America I saw people eating guinea pig, another animal we would describe as a "pet".
France eat horse meat and frogs legs. Again there was outrage in this country over eating horses, because we've been taught to treat horses as domesticated. Frogs legs have the yuck factor.

Even within our own country there are ridiculous inconsistencies. We will happily eat lamb (a baby sheep), but often people frown upon veal (a baby cow), because of the "story" they've been told.

This is a good video that explains what I mean - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7JE8j5Ncmw