Reminder, Fans Forum, 16th September

Richard Petty
Re: Reminder, Fans Forum, 16th September

Post by Richard Petty » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:01 pm

Lightwater Shot wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:16 am
Re: "Happy Clappers" - it needs to be balanced. What would be the point of the panel defending a barrage of negativity for the entire duration of the forum? It needs some structure that allows them to put over some of the points that they would like to get across, so if your question isn't asked it will be more in the interest of balance rather than a conspiracy against the "moaners".

Why is it so wrong to be positive and optimistic? As a club we are punching at our weight as a struggling National League side, maybe the ground development will have a positive impact and bring it up a notch or two, but ultimately running the club at a sustainable level means that there will still be a club to support when the stadium is built. The people who give their time and money to achieve that don't deserve to be subjected to a mud-flinging competition.
I agree with some of the sentiment behind your post but actually (This may surprise some who often dismiss me as a happy clapper) I don't agree with you that a question should not be asked for the sake of balance.

The new format for Fans Forum' has worked well since it was introduced and instead of having bad tempered slanging matches not just between fans and the club representatives but often among the fans themselves the recent meetings have been conducted well and the questions have been well put and well responded to. But this format only works because "ALL" questions are asked whether they be positive or negative.

Based on the last two forums it is clear that there is no avoidance of any questions and Mark Butler has confirmed on a number of occasions that no matter how contentious the question submitted it will be asked. Now although I certainly don't agree with them I do fully understand why some of the more sceptical posters on here regarding the BOD want to suggest that directors might wish to avoid certain questions but surely even those who dislike the BOD so much would not suggest that Mark Butler would lie to us and he has confirmed no questions are left out (other than duplicate questions).

I have got to know Mark quite well over the years and apart from being as Red & Blue as any fan who comes into the stadium or posts on here he is also someone I respect highly for his honesty, integrity and very high moral standards. He sees all the questions and knows that they are all included and has said so. No matter how little some you obviously trust the BOD I am absolutely 100% certain Mark would never speak out so clearly on this if it wasn't true its just not in his make up as a person, he just couldn't do it and anyone else who knows him will say the same.

The other important thing to remember is that although its helpful for everyone (especially those who cannot attend) to submit their questions in advance you can still ask questions on the night if you are there. At the last two forums their have been question slips available for anyone to write a question down either as an original question or as a supplementary question to one already asked or indeed as a response to an answer.

Its right that people want answers to many things around the club at the moment but unless you ask the question you wont get the answer so don't assume someone else is bound to ask it just because its talked about so much on here, use this opportunity properly and send in your question and/or attend the forum and get the clarity on everything that we all want to know

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:00 pm

stevieshot wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:45 pm
One way of telling if questions have been avoided or forgotten, is to post the question on here at the same time as you forward it to the club.
The advantage of doing this is you can read other people's questions and avoid duplication, or rephrase your question to make your point clearer.
Also we will have a visual prompt as to what's being asked.
Just playing devil's advocate, but posting a question here is not necessarily proof that it was sent to or received by the club.

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:53 pm

Cph.shots wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:00 pm
stevieshot wrote:
One way of telling if questions have been avoided or forgotten, is to post the question on here at the same time as you forward it to the club.
The advantage of doing this is you can read other people's questions and avoid duplication, or rephrase your question to make your point clearer.
Just playing devil's advocate, but posting a question here is not necessarily proof that it was sent to or received by the club.
I can't see any reason why somebody would fail to forward the question to the club.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:58 pm

stevieshot wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:53 pm
Cph.shots wrote:
stevieshot wrote:
I can't see any reason why somebody would fail to forward the question to the club.
To stir the poo maybe?

‘See, I sent this question in and it wasn’t asked. I told you that they vet them.’

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:03 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:01 pm
Lightwater Shot wrote:
Re: "Happy Clappers" - it needs to be balanced. What would be the point of the panel defending a barrage of negativity for the entire duration of the forum? It needs some structure that allows them to put over some of the points that they would like to get across, so if your question isn't asked it will be more in the interest of balance rather than a conspiracy against the "moaners".

Why is it so wrong to be positive and optimistic? As a club we are punching at our weight as a struggling National League side, maybe the ground development will have a positive impact and bring it up a notch or two, but ultimately running the club at a sustainable level means that there will still be a club to support when the stadium is built. The people who give their time and money to achieve that don't deserve to be subjected to a mud-flinging competition.
I agree with some of the sentiment behind your post but actually (This may surprise some who often dismiss me as a happy clapper) I don't agree with you that a question should not be asked for the sake of balance.

The new format for Fans Forum' has worked well since it was introduced and instead of having bad tempered slanging matches not just between fans and the club representatives but often among the fans themselves the recent meetings have been conducted well and the questions have been well put and well responded to. But this format only works because "ALL" questions are asked whether they be positive or negative.

Based on the last two forums it is clear that there is no avoidance of any questions and Mark Butler has confirmed on a number of occasions that no matter how contentious the question submitted it will be asked. Now although I certainly don't agree with them I do fully understand why some of the more sceptical posters on here regarding the BOD want to suggest that directors might wish to avoid certain questions but surely even those who dislike the BOD so much would not suggest that Mark Butler would lie to us and he has confirmed no questions are left out (other than duplicate questions).

I have got to know Mark quite well over the years and apart from being as Red & Blue as any fan who comes into the stadium or posts on here he is also someone I respect highly for his honesty, integrity and very high moral standards. He sees all the questions and knows that they are all included and has said so. No matter how little some you obviously trust the BOD I am absolutely 100% certain Mark would never speak out so clearly on this if it wasn't true its just not in his make up as a person, he just couldn't do it and anyone else who knows him will say the same.

The other important thing to remember is that although its helpful for everyone (especially those who cannot attend) to submit their questions in advance you can still ask questions on the night if you are there. At the last two forums their have been question slips available for anyone to write a question down either as an original question or as a supplementary question to one already asked or indeed as a response to an answer.

Its right that people want answers to many things around the club at the moment but unless you ask the question you wont get the answer so don't assume someone else is bound to ask it just because its talked about so much on here, use this opportunity properly and send in your question and/or attend the forum and get the clarity on everything that we all want to know
Excellent post Richard and having known Mark for most of my life you are spot on with your comments about him.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:08 pm

stevieshot wrote:
Cph.shots wrote:
stevieshot wrote:
I'd sincerely hope not but as Birdman says, some might have dishonourable intentions.
There's also a simple matter of technical issues at either end.

bordon shot

Post by bordon shot » Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:58 pm
stevieshot wrote:
Cph.shots wrote:

To stir the poo maybe?

‘See, I sent this question in and it wasn’t asked. I told you that they vet them.’
You can bet your bottom dollar that this will happen. All those fans who have shown their dismay at the poor start, will have had plenty of time to get their questions in. I will guess that a lot of questions will be of a similar nature & tone, common sense tells me that Mark will likely pick some of the more robust ones & put them to the chairman/Manager. This makes sense to me as it would be a pretty dull evening listening to a whingefest all night.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:53 pm

Birdman wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:58 pm
stevieshot wrote:
Cph.shots wrote:

To stir the poo maybe?

Also, Shotsweb is independent from the club. If they’ve asked for correspondence via official channels, it’s only right fans play their part by following this route.

A.T.F.C 92

Post by A.T.F.C 92 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:01 am

Lose to Solihull on Saturday and I'm expecting a announcement that this has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances 😅

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:54 am

Mark Butler epitomises exactly what being a Shots fan is all about, bleeding Red & Blue. He has excelled in his job as Commercial Manager and would be the first to acknowledge a lot of his leads will have come via Directors as well. And I’d bet every defeat we suffer, he will be hurting as bad as all of us do. He has to be an Employee first, but he has managed to do that as well as put across the more negative views a lot of us have.

I think at this Forum given the momentum of concern and we cannot hide from it, much more negativity from fans, there needs to be an honest head on tackle of issues fans see. No doubting our BOD will be feeling the heat, hiding those negatives from fans will fan the flames higher. I’m not sure if Danny will be there to answer on field issues, but if he is, again he needs to see it from a fans viewpoint, many of us see performances differing to his thoughts.

There will be rally call ending of we are all in it together, accepted …… but at the end of the day it is results that dictate mood, not words.

COYS

IanShots

Post by IanShots » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:36 am

I think the fans forum may better without Danny there if we have lost to Solihull and Southend!

ShotOnTarget

Post by ShotOnTarget » Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:12 pm

Lightwater Shot wrote:

The atmosphere of such a gathering surely should be not preordained as being positive and optimistic! The suggestion that it should be belies one of the fundamental problems, vis regardless of facts and opinions, we have a duty to pretend everything is great regardless. Although the precendent for this thinking is established, it's falling out of favour.

It should be an opportunity to hear first-hand exactly what the direction of the club is. If there is good news on offer, great. If it is not so good, then let's hear it warts and all and how it's going to be dealt with.

Positivity in the form of a dog and pony show is fatuous and it will hasten the loss of support of those that see through it. If we are 2nd from bottom but people come away with a clear understanding and confidence as to where things are going, that would be entirely positive in my book.

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:06 pm

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:41 am

Do these forums get recorded?

Birdman

Post by Birdman » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 am

GetShotDownunder wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:41 am
Do these forums get recorded?
I’m not 100% sure on this but I think that they end up on Shots TV although I don’t know how long after. Click on ‘News’ then a very small drop down menu will show ‘Shots TV’ :- https://www.theshots.co.uk/

Also :- ” We will also be continuing the successful Facebook Live video which will be broadcast during the event if fans are unable to attend.”