Southend v Shots match thread

In Sight of Victory Shot
Re: Southend v Shots match thread

Post by In Sight of Victory Shot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:56 am

Giddy stuff! What light through yonder window breaks? Though still guarded.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:14 am

Red-n-Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 am
I'm going to set the cat amongst the pigeons by saying I'm not that surprised we won at Southend - Danny Searle always manages to pull a positive result out of the hat when he's on the brink.

If we'd lost, the atmosphere at Thursday's fans forum would have been toxic, and the pressure on the BoD to sack Searle would have been overwhelming. This win eases that pressure a fraction and Searle will live to fight another day.

However, because we've been here before I fear we'll probably pick up no more than a point or two against Wealdstone and Halifax. Whenever we've taken one step forward under Danny Searle's leadership, we've inevitably taken two steps back shortly afterwards.

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong - over to you Mr Searle.
Good post as always Red n Blue- A much needed win that is for sure. There has been so much despondency on here since the start of the season.

For me DS enjoys playing the underdog role- pitting his wits against the likes of Chesterfield/Notts Co/Southend/Wrexham etc..We all know that the club appears brassic, unable to bolster the squad until gates increase- but that will only come with winning games more regularly. I still think it will take time for attendances to get back to a level that we would like 2,500+ which is what we would have got back in the Ryman/Isthmian days under Wignall, Borg & Brown. That was also when there was barely any away fans at the Rec.

Interesting what you were saying the other day Red n Blue about how you used to base your social life around Shots games, barely missing a fixture. That for me is what is missing today- that passion that made the ground worth a goal start to Aldershot. if the acceptance of mediocrity continues from the BoD it will be difficult to get the atmosphere back inside the ground.

I could see us winning at Wealdstone & then losing at home to Halifax, which would be all we need, after two wins away. As you allude to- one step forward, two steps back. Need that home win desperately to lift the mood.

Anyway, best wishes to you Red n Blue. I know you are a passionate fan at heart.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:17 am

Ancient Shot wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:16 pm
Danny's Shovel wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:24 pm
Shots2000 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 pm
5 at the back again?! Lost 5 in a row does not change it, disgraceful really.
Disgusting, this is without Lokko also, so he is trying to shoehorn anyone in to get it to work.

If he gets the boot tomorrow he cant have anyone to blame but himself, very stubborn.
Hmm
It looks like you have been waiting for that moment for the last 6 games, lets hope you don't have to wait another 6 games before you can pipe up and look a plank again.

So this didn't cost us today Mr Brett..... What about the previous 5 games where he has got things wrong..... As you were old boy.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:25 am

hepcat wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:39 am
Just had a look at the Southend fans forum and all the posts are incredibly similar to ours about the state of their club !! The manager will be gone before Christmas and the chairman is an egoist who needs shooting ! Well, that's "sleeping giants" for you !
Your post tempted me to have a look at their forum and your spot on, if you changed the names you could pretty much swap our post Solihull thread with their post Aldershot thread and you wouldn't notice :lol:

Couple of observations that were interesting

We see it a problem that we have such a young team, they see a problem that they have an old team

We have a manager that gets criticism for using modern coaching methods, their manager gets criticism for being too "Old school" and that modern coaching has passed him buy.

We often see on here comments that we don't look fit enough, their fans seem to think we looked fitter than them.
Last edited by Richard Petty on Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlready

Post by karlready » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:36 am

Jeez, I’d forgotten what a lift a deserved win can give. Not exactly a spring in my step, but…well done everyone, and thanks for the boost.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Shotsweb seems a little strange today, cant put my finger on it ???????

Oh I know https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-58I81gySE

:lol:

I know that as the old saying goes "One swallow does not a summer make" but last nights result certainly gives us a lift :D

Shots1954

Post by Shots1954 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:20 pm

I know that as the old saying goes "One swallow does not a summer make" but last nights result certainly gives us a lift :D
It's strange and quiet as we had a positive result last night, it has given a lift but we need it to continue as you are aware the start apart from last night has been awful.

Cph.shots

Post by Cph.shots » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:02 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:20 pm

Yes, it's certainly lightened the mood a bit but as others have said, we need some consistency over the next few games.
Think this is one of the longest threads after a win that I can remember, which is nice to see.

Giles

Post by Giles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 pm

Not sure 14 pages can be classed as quiet :shock:

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Giles wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:20 pm
Not sure 14 pages can be classed as quiet :shock:
I was referring to the lack of multiple threads shouting for peoples heads etc..... It was just a light hearted comment, don't take it to literally :D

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm

In 18 hours since this thread was created, we've had well over 6000 views....... To put that in context Wrexham v Woking thread on Cardboard from Saturday, still has only had 4000 views 4 days later, it shows that though people have become disillusioned with home performances (6 losses in a row at home) and gates dropping..... Interest/support on here and afar is still as strong as has been in recent times........ And once a new broom comes along to steer us (tho starting Saturday i hope Searle wins many games in a row and turns things around, just cant see it)........ Gates will pick up again.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:41 pm

OK great to finally get a win last night but in my opinion changes little.

The big picture shows that Searle record is terrible and highly unlikely to offer the fans decent football let alone a team fighting for the playoffs.

Still OUT for me I'm afraid.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm

Danny's Shovel wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm
In 18 hours since this thread was created, we've had well over 6000 views....... To put that in context Wrexham v Woking thread on Cardboard from Saturday, still has only had 4000 views 4 days later, it shows that though people have become disillusioned with home performances (6 losses in a row at home) and gates dropping..... Interest/support on here and afar is still as strong as has been in recent times........ And once a new broom comes along to steer us (tho starting Saturday i hope Searle wins many games in a row and turns things around, just cant see it)........ Gates will pick up again.
And here he is Mr. Doom. I notice he hasnt posted 500 times today i wonder why. COYS.

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:14 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:05 pm
Danny's Shovel wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:35 pm
And here he is Mr. Doom. I notice he hasnt posted 500 times today i wonder why. COYS.

Steve, with respect your just delusional, you've predicated a shots win in every game for the last few years, literally..... Before yesterday you were one of 4 people on here who wanted Searle to stay............. If we lost the next 10 games, you'd still be predicating the 11th game to be a win and saying everything will turn out ok........ Whilst we sleepwalk towards conference south, with that kind of naviety you are a big part of the problem. Yes we won last night that was great, we are all pleased..... But Southend are a very poor team just read their forum.
Last edited by Danny's Shovel on Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oliver11

Post by Oliver11 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:22 pm

In any sport whether its team or individual poor players / technique occasionally will work but overall it won't and results poor - think you know what I'm saying......