Are we turning the corner?

Dr Jim Royle
Are we turning the corner?

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm

It matters not, you could be all for Manager/BOD or against Manager/BOD last nights three points will have given all of us a sense of relief and the chance of a smile. And it rightfully gives a chance to those of a more positive nature to counter attack the gloom mongers (including me) with I told you so messages.

But what I'd like to know is, do we really think this was a crucial moment in this seasons games?

I reflect on my own views and think, am I harsh, unreasonable? Or do I still think this is just like previous dawns where we more easily slip back into losing streaks? I have to be honest to say, I believe we just cannot produce sustained winning or unbeaten runs of games. They are few and far between under Danny, his Achilles Heel. And it will only be when we can build a run of games on a regular basis where losses are few and far between, will I think we have turned the corner. So last night for me was a great thing to see and then fall asleep on, but I'm some way off eating any humble pie.

I read Alan B watched our opponents this coming Saturday and warned of their threat and potential, Mr B is a very good observer of games, if I was Danny I'd be looking for B's phone number and get a more in depth view of what he witnessed. Particularly given their style of play was very similar to that we employed against Notts County.

I may be a Gloom Monger of a Shots Fan, but nothing would give me more pleasure to be proved wrong and to be eating Humble Pie for rest of this season and then onwards. I still think our BOD are doing well, but it is what occurs on the pitch which guides us all in our opinions, I really hope we can get this right.

COYS

HarryTom
Re: Are we turning the corner?

Post by HarryTom » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:00 pm

Dr Jim Royle wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:32 pm
It matters not, you could be all for Manager/BOD or against Manager/BOD last nights three points will have given all of us a sense of relief and the chance of a smile. And it rightfully gives a chance to those of a more positive nature to counter attack the gloom mongers (including me) with I told you so messages.

But what I'd like to know is, do we really think this was a crucial moment in this seasons games?

I reflect on my own views and think, am I harsh, unreasonable? Or do I still think this is just like previous dawns where we more easily slip back into losing streaks? I have to be honest to say, I believe we just cannot produce sustained winning or unbeaten runs of games. They are few and far between under Danny, his Achilles Heel. And it will only be when we can build a run of games on a regular basis where losses are few and far between, will I think we have turned the corner. So last night for me was a great thing to see and then fall asleep on, but I'm some way off eating any humble pie.

I read Alan B watched our opponents this coming Saturday and warned of their threat and potential, Mr B is a very good observer of games, if I was Danny I'd be looking for B's phone number and get a more in depth view of what he witnessed. Particularly given their style of play was very similar to that we employed against Notts County.

I may be a Gloom Monger of a Shots Fan, but nothing would give me more pleasure to be proved wrong and to be eating Humble Pie for rest of this season and then onwards. I still think our BOD are doing well, but it is what occurs on the pitch which guides us all in our opinions, I really hope we can get this right.

COYS
I am sure Danny would have had them watched, and seen any videos of their games,so i am not sure what this Mr B could offer, that Danny and his team have not figured out for themselves !

SHOTSMAN68

Post by SHOTSMAN68 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm

ARE WE TURNING THE CORNER
PROBABLY NOT BUT LETS KEEP EV"S HOPES ALIVE FOR NOW AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ?
MAYBE EV KNOWS SOMETHING WE DONT ?

margateshot

Post by margateshot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:37 pm

The team proved last night what they are capable of, and probably proved some of that in the other matches this season. However they really need to get rid of those stupid mistakes that seem to cost us every match. Even last night Mitchs' mistake could have seen us capitulate. If we can stop that' and concentrate for a full 90 odd minutes, I think they are more than capable of seeing us safe this season, if not better.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:47 pm

On one hand, people have said the squad isn't capable and it isn't Danny's fault. He has the best squad he could assemble with the funds given, etc.
Yet on the other hand, they clearly are capable as a result and good performance was had by all.

Personally, it matters not. Searle has been in charge long enough for me to have made my mind up. He spouts the same rhetoric before and after the defeats and Lords up the praise when he pulls off a win.
It was typical that the result was pulled out the bag yesterday to me, it was no surprise. A bit like Notts County, I actually half expected something from that game and we were unlucky not to.
Why we raise our game against the big boys is anyone's guess.

Have we turned a corner? Unlikely, I expect the same trend will be followed. What is the longest run of games won or undefeated undefeated Searle? I can't imagine many.

TracoShot

Post by TracoShot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:58 pm

I really hope so for everyone's sake however I have a feeling that last night is merely postponing the inevitable.

Of more concern to me is what is said tomorrow evening at the fans forum re the ground redevelopment. This really is critical to the clubs future and imo more important than what is currently happening on the pitch.

80fc

Post by 80fc » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 pm

Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:47 pm
On one hand, people have said the squad isn't capable and it isn't Danny's fault. He has the best squad he could assemble with the funds given, etc.
Yet on the other hand, they clearly are capable as a result and good performance was had by all.

Personally, it matters not. Searle has been in charge long enough for me to have made my mind up. He spouts the same rhetoric before and after the defeats and Lords up the praise when he pulls off a win.
It was typical that the result was pulled out the bag yesterday to me, it was no surprise. A bit like Notts County, I actually half expected something from that game and we were unlucky not to.
Why we raise our game against the big boys is anyone's guess.

Have we turned a corner? Unlikely, I expect the same trend will be followed. What is the longest run of games won or undefeated undefeated Searle? I can't imagine many.
One only has to read the Southend board to realise we didn't have a lot to beat. One Swallow does not a summer make.

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:54 pm

Good to see the realism surfacing again after the euphoria of beating a P1$$ poor TEG outfit. Yes, it was great to see a victory at last, and one against opponents with such a massive (and unearned) superiority complex, but we have to look at the big picture.

How long was it since it our last victory? (ANSWER: bloody ages.)

Have we eradicated the *soft goals + conceding late* syndrome? (ANSWER: apparently not.) This has led (and will continue to lead) to more defeats than victories.

Is Danny Searle still Danny Searle, with all his obvious flaws and seeming inability to learn from experience? (ANSWER: yes, I think he is.)

Football managers are famous for mouthing crass inanities (e.g., take each game at a time, no one gets promoted/relegated in September, football is a business like any other, it's a results-driven business, take the positives, control the controllables, it is what it is, ...) One of their stock BS sayings is "We don't go overboard when we lose, and we don't go overboard when we win". That one has a bit more going for it than most. So, OK, we don't go overboard about a narrow victory against a bunch of TEGs.

Where does all that get us? It gets us to Danny Searle remains highly unlikely to steer our club to safety. Of course, I really hope he does. Don't we all? But for the life of me, I can't see it as anything other than the longest of long shots.

redandbluescb

Post by redandbluescb » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm

It seems to have gone under the radar a bit but Jayden Harris a Danny signing on a 2 year contract
is one hell of a player and ditto with Giles Phillips. Bromleys ex manager was well impressed with
our players last night and with Whittingham in midfield we are a much more solid side.

Aldershot_Rob

Post by Aldershot_Rob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Scouts unearth players with potential all the time. It doesn't mean they are capable of managing a football team. Also, there is a good chance the players mentioned were both recommended and scouted for Danny. He is a coach at best and a poor second rate manager at worst.
I don't see us progressing under him ,with or without a budget.
Let us not forget his 5 year plan or his book of contacts, both of which have yet to come in to fruition.

poppy seed

Post by poppy seed » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:32 pm

Just back from Biot and Antibes Jim. Have missed all the fun and results. Caught up with last night’s win, are we now up the top of the league? But you seem unsure that Danny is the man to take us back into the Football League.

Had great weather. And yes, I am!

Danny's Shovel

Post by Danny's Shovel » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:33 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm
It seems to have gone under the radar a bit but Jayden Harris a Danny signing on a 2 year contract
is one hell of a player and ditto with Giles Phillips. Bromleys ex manager was well impressed with
our players last night and with Whittingham in midfield we are a much more solid side.
Harris has played in a team who has lost 5 of 6 games, for tall athletic guy i'm convinced he wont score more than 3/4 goals all season (Carlton Palmer) think this will hold him back in his career if is the case.

Was very pleased we signed Giles, however he has been poor so far this season, tho alongside KLF could make Van Dijk poor, he was good last season tho so i know he is capable of better.

I completely agree regards Alfy in Midfield, he never lets us down when there, should always start in midfield.

karlready

Post by karlready » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm

I’d also like to think so, but in the cold light of day, Southend were a soft touch, playing to our strengths, such as they are, and are as shot of form and confidence as we were. I expected major changes from the home side at half-time,but we overwhelmed their midfield for the entire game, and they were reduced to long punts up the field to Murphy.
We remain much as the last two seasons- if the opposition let us play football ( usually the “better”) sides ) we do well. Let’s see the tactics against us on Saturday, and make another judgement.

Bob

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:50 pm

A loss at the weald then it’s back to the original square, a win then it’s a rare brace of wins and I might have to run around the hill with the old man on parade 😎

Old Bob

Post by Old Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:53 pm

karlready wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm
I’d also like to think so, but in the cold light of day, Southend were a soft touch, playing to our strengths, such as they are, and are as shot of form and confidence as we were. I expected major changes from the home side at half-time,but we overwhelmed their midfield for the entire game, and they were reduced to long punts up the field to Murphy.
We remain much as the last two seasons - if the opposition let us play football ( usually the “better” sides ) we do well. Let’s see the tactics against us on Saturday, and make another judgement.
Very solid and realistic assessment as always from you, Karl.

I do hope you are not including the TEGs as one of the "better" sides :lol: