Are we turning the corner?

Bob
Re: Are we turning the corner?

Post by Bob » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm

Always nice beating them after that 10-1 and the brace of 5-0’s in the same season

GetShotDownunder

Post by GetShotDownunder » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:17 pm

karlready wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 pm
I’d also like to think so, but in the cold light of day, Southend were a soft touch, playing to our strengths, such as they are, and are as shot of form and confidence as we were. I expected major changes from the home side at half-time,but we overwhelmed their midfield for the entire game, and they were reduced to long punts up the field to Murphy.
We remain much as the last two seasons- if the opposition let us play football ( usually the “better”) sides ) we do well. Let’s see the tactics against us on Saturday, and make another judgement.
Great post the budget and conditional loan aside you've summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Paper thin squad or not the jury is still out against the more physical and less football league "entitled" teams who may deploy tactics to negate the DS game plan (plan A).
Last edited by GetShotDownunder on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:18 pm

Bob wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:56 pm
Always nice beating them after that 10-1 and the brace of 5-0’s in the same season
I think those were before my time but the floodlights match - and reaction to it - always makes a win against them feel sweet.

lowerbourneshot

Post by lowerbourneshot » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:19 pm

no win 1 lose 2 and then repeat . 3rd season under DS and the only consistent form is losing games ,not a dig just fact.

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm

redandbluescb wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:17 pm
It seems to have gone under the radar a bit but Jayden Harris a Danny signing on a 2 year contract
is one hell of a player and ditto with Giles Phillips. Bromleys ex manager was well impressed with
our players last night and with Whittingham in midfield we are a much more solid side.
"One hell of a player"? There's no need to go overboard; Jayden Harris has hardly set the world alight in our previous 5 straight defeats!

Royston Figgis

Post by Royston Figgis » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:48 pm

80fc wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:02 pm
Aldershot_Rob wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:47 pm
On one hand, people have said the squad isn't capable and it isn't Danny's fault. He has the best squad he could assemble with the funds given, etc.
Yet on the other hand, they clearly are capable as a result and good performance was had by all.

Personally, it matters not. Searle has been in charge long enough for me to have made my mind up. He spouts the same rhetoric before and after the defeats and Lords up the praise when he pulls off a win.
It was typical that the result was pulled out the bag yesterday to me, it was no surprise. A bit like Notts County, I actually half expected something from that game and we were unlucky not to.
Why we raise our game against the big boys is anyone's guess.

Have we turned a corner? Unlikely, I expect the same trend will be followed. What is the longest run of games won or undefeated undefeated Searle? I can't imagine many.
One only has to read the Southend board to realise we didn't have a lot to beat. One Swallow does not a summer make.
As you rightly state 80fc, Southend fans are in despair at the state of their team. manager and club and there is serious disarray there. They regard losing to us as a massive insult considering our results so far.

Just as Searle highlights the respective results/budgets of the teams we have lost to so far to mitigate for those losses, accordingly we must also apply this same mitigation to last night's result (however welcome and deserved it undoubtedly was).

Due to this, it's still a no for me.

Ian M

Post by Ian M » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:26 pm

How many wins?
How many defeats?

No. Nothing like "turning a corner." One win has gone to some folks heads. One win. In six. Relegation form by a mile.

That said, at least the win is this end of the sequence rather than the other! :-) Hold this conversation for another month.....at least.

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm

No, no corner turned yet, but a very welcomed result all the same, Hope we now can keep it going, but i think it will take us till the Christmas period
to see if we have turned the corner after the start we have had. Good luck to Danny and the team for Saturday. COYS

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm

HarryTom wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:33 pm
…. but i think it will take us till the Christmas period
to see if we have turned the corner after the start we have had. Good luck to Danny and the team for Saturday. COYS
Nope, next two games will tell us, Danny’s teams have a habit of pulling out a decent result when needed but then following it up with two rubbish ones. For me Wealdstone and Halifax are massive games for this squad to prove they’re not following their predecessors pattern.

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm
HarryTom wrote:
Nope, next two games will tell us, Danny’s teams have a habit of pulling out a decent result when needed but then following it up with two rubbish ones. For me Wealdstone and Halifax are massive games for this squad to prove they’re not following their predecessors pattern.
No it won't, your talking about changing a pattern in the next couple of games, i am talking a bit more long term, as i said after the start we have had, it's going to take longer than the next couple of games imo to really see if we have managed it. COYS

Triggers Broom

Post by Triggers Broom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am

HarryTom wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 pm
Turnkey wrote:
HarryTom wrote:
No it won't, your talking about changing a pattern in the next couple of games, i am talking a bit more long term, as i said after the start we have had, it's going to take longer than the next couple of games imo to really see if we have managed it. COYS
We've been following a pattern the past 3 years. We'll know in the next 3 games if it's continuing if we collect 1 point from 9.

Bob

Post by Bob » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm

Triggers Broom wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am
HarryTom wrote:
Turnkey wrote:

We've been following a pattern the past 3 years. We'll know in the next 3 games if it's continuing if we collect 1 point from 9.
Spot on

HarryTom

Post by HarryTom » Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:42 pm
Triggers Broom wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:31 am
HarryTom wrote:

Spot on
If we don't get beat in the next three games, it won't necessarily mean we have turned the corner, it might mean we have broken a pattern as such,
but i do believe it will take a while longer than 3 games to see if we have turned that corner as i have previously mentioned

steveshot

Post by steveshot » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 pm

You get a good idea of what’s what around Christmas. And If we are still only a couple of places above Dover then we know what League we will start in next season.

shotsboy66

Post by shotsboy66 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:58 pm

steveshot wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:12 pm
You get a good idea of what’s what around Christmas. And If we are still only a couple of places above Dover then we know what League we will start in next season.
I`m not feeling confident in truth about this season-certainly can see gates dropping even more if results don`t improve. As a fan said elsewhere today- the self pity has to stop. ATFC in my opinion should be challenging in the top 6/8 in the division, let us hope for a win at Wealdstone, for if nothing else, the fan base needs a big morale boost.