ATFC Phoenix Supporters Assosiation

ChrisW
ATFC Phoenix Supporters Assosiation

Post by ChrisW » Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am

As was previously discussed on this forum, we have set up a new supporters club. I have been lurking on Shotsweb for a while so I am going to try and cover off as many of your pet hates as possible which started when I registered with my real name :wink:

The supporters club has been formed with the aims of raising money for the club, providing a better and easier match day experience for fans at home and traveling away and creating a channel for communication between the club and fans. We are hoping to organise travel to some of the away fixtures and provide updates on all things Aldershot including the new ground which personally I haven't heard anything concrete for some time!

Many of you will be thinking why we need a new supporters club. I get it! I have been supporting Aldershot since I moved here (5 years ago) and I believe there have been atleast 3? I joined the old supporters club and never heard a peep out of them. I got a nice scarf the first year but since then, nothing. It could be down to the fact I don't use social media but as a percentage I wonder how many of our supporters do? Communication is a systemic problem with all walks of our club and it's the number one thing I'm passionate about trying to correct.

The first major perk we have announced is that 50p from every pint bought at The Crimea Inn will go to the club (on production of membership card) every day of the week. This will bring up many questions regarding where the money will go and primarily I would like it to go on areas which benefit the fans, leaky gutters could be fixed!? Where ever it goes, this will be communicated on Facebook (not by me), in our monthly email to members, be voted through democratically and in discussion with members.

I don't know how much of a change previous supporters clubs have managed to create, (I understand the trust managed to raise a significant amount although I know that saga is controversial) but if a group of supporters can come together, increase the away support a bit and help the club with a bit of cash then that can only be a good thing? I'm sure many of you will tell me either way...

I will be at The Crimea before the game on Sunday handing our leaflets and joining forms so feel free to pop down for a chat or post any questions here. Membership is £10 for the season and will be collected at the bar.

COYS

Sean Chambers
Re: ATFC Phoenix Supporters Assosiation

Post by Sean Chambers » Fri May 13, 2022 4:06 pm

Good Luck with this Chris but speaking from experience as I was on the Shots Trust Board for a number years it won’t be easy, especially with there being an Aldershot Town Supporters Club as well.
You are correct the Trust did raise a reasonable amount of money.
I guess the fan base if they want to will probably choose which one to join.
Well done for putting your head above the parapet and trying to do something, enjoy the rollercoaster ride that is Aldershot Town :wink:

stevieshot

Post by stevieshot » Fri May 13, 2022 5:08 pm

As regards away support, whilst I am proud of our away support, especially how loud they are. They don't benefit the Club financially at all. I would rather pay into something that benefits the club and home support, especially when money is tight.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Fri May 13, 2022 5:15 pm

ChrisW anyone who wants to go that bit extra to help the club should always be appreciated and encouraged so good on you for wanting to help.

However if I might make a suggestion I believe that the existing supporters club (just like the Trust before it) is always in need of more help and especially from those who have the drive and determination to want to make a difference as you obviously do. So rather than risk diluting the efforts between the two organisations why not offer your support and enthusiasm to them as from what I can see in your post today you have exactly the same aims and ambitions that they do so would be a perfect fit.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time

Superdroop

Post by Superdroop » Fri May 13, 2022 7:22 pm

I would save your pain and join forces with https://www.facebook.com/shotstrustfc/ Aldershot Supporters Trust FC
But what would I know! :cry:

Quoting.....
A very productive week of training for the boys, as we ramp up our preparations for Sunday’s Cup Final, with the team having two separate training sessions this week.
We are aiming to make Club history on Sunday, by winning the league and cup double, and would love to see as many of you there as possible supporting us! 🔵🔴

Sunday 15th May 2022
Aldershot Supporters Trust FC Vs AFC Raiders
Kick off: 2pm
Farnborough FC, Cherrywood Road, GU14 8UD
Adults - £5
Concessions - £3
Last edited by Superdroop on Sat May 14, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it moves wiggle it

AGATFC

Post by AGATFC » Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm

Superdroop wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 7:22 pm
I would save your pain and join forces with https://www.facebook.com/shotstrustfc/ Aldershot Supporters Trust FC
But what would know! :cry:

Quoting.....
A very productive week of training for the boys, as we ramp up our preparations for Sunday’s Cup Final, with the team having two separate training sessions this week.
We are aiming to make Club history on Sunday, by winning the league and cup double, and would love to see as many of you there as possible supporting us! 🔵🔴

Sunday 15th May 2022
Aldershot Supporters Trust FC Vs AFC Raiders
Kick off: 2pm
Farnborough FC, Cherrywood Road, GU14 8UD
Adults - £5
Concessions - £3
The team would appreciate any support for their first cup final, what a way to end a fantastic season on and off the pitch for the team by winning the league and cup double

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW » Fri May 13, 2022 9:05 pm

Largely suprised at the positivity of the comments, from reading on others i was concerned i would be fighting off the haters with a stick. I dont know how to do the fancy quotes so if you don't mind I'll respond to you individually.

Sean and Richard - combining your concerns of there being two supporters clubs. After being a member of the "other" supporters club and not hearing anything for two years i am at a miss with what there purpose is. They did sponsor the last ball for autism awareness so they are generating funds and putting it into the club so fair play to them. Dark times draw people together and I have seen the same faces week in, week out at The Rec. I like to think this is a way to pull us all together and then have a singular, uniformed voice in which to get the best out of the club. Thank you for your wise words!

Stevieshot - it's not that we would make boosting away support priority however I don't believe a supporters club will boost home support, only enhance it for those that already go. If we can pull 25 people together and book a minibus, it makes it easier on those 25 to travel. In doing this maybe an extra pound charge could be tacked on which would then go back into the club? I'm speaking for myself there and not for everyone in the committee because that hasn't been discussed in that much detail. From what I have read the trust managed to raise lucrative funds in a better time. For us it's small and humble beginnings. Less of a cash cow for the club and more about bringing fans together and raising some funds along the way.

Superdroop - Forgive my ignorance but I thought the trust had been wound up as a "supporters club" entity? I appreciate the trust still have a Sunday league team, I played for them for a season. Played is a strong word, I ran about for 10mins off the bench but that's by the by...

HookShots

Post by HookShots » Fri May 13, 2022 11:32 pm

Hi Chris - always commend anyone giving their time to the club. As Richard Petty says in an earlier post please feel free to reach out, The Supporters Club is always on the lookout for any additional ideas or pair of hands.

In terms of member communication we are aware that there is always more we can do, and as it has been documented, being down to a small team has been challenging in terms resources recently. So focused efforts have been on generating funds for the club that have gone on items chosen by the supporters club committee and worthy community causes (working in partnership with the foundation) such as the autism game and more.

We are thankful we had a few new faces at our last meeting but we are always on the look out for further support so do feel free to reach out. We already have all the foundations in place, FSA registration, bank accounts etc so might make sense to work together, we have potential space for perhaps two more committee members but also anyone with some time to volunteer (who may not want to commit to being a full committee member).

HackJowarth

Post by HackJowarth » Sat May 14, 2022 12:45 am

ChrisW wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:53 am
As was previously discussed on this forum, we have set up a new supporters club. I have been lurking on Shotsweb for a while so I am going to try and cover off as many of your pet hates as possible which started when I registered with my real name :wink:

The supporters club has been formed with the aims of raising money for the club, providing a better and easier match day experience for fans at home and traveling away and creating a channel for communication between the club and fans. We are hoping to organise travel to some of the away fixtures and provide updates on all things Aldershot including the new ground which personally I haven't heard anything concrete for some time!

Many of you will be thinking why we need a new supporters club. I get it! I have been supporting Aldershot since I moved here (5 years ago) and I believe there have been atleast 3? I joined the old supporters club and never heard a peep out of them. I got a nice scarf the first year but since then, nothing. It could be down to the fact I don't use social media but as a percentage I wonder how many of our supporters do? Communication is a systemic problem with all walks of our club and it's the number one thing I'm passionate about trying to correct.

The first major perk we have announced is that 50p from every pint bought at The Crimea Inn will go to the club (on production of membership card) every day of the week. This will bring up many questions regarding where the money will go and primarily I would like it to go on areas which benefit the fans, leaky gutters could be fixed!? Where ever it goes, this will be communicated on Facebook (not by me), in our monthly email to members, be voted through democratically and in discussion with members.

I don't know how much of a change previous supporters clubs have managed to create, (I understand the trust managed to raise a significant amount although I know that saga is controversial) but if a group of supporters can come together, increase the away support a bit and help the club with a bit of cash then that can only be a good thing? I'm sure many of you will tell me either way...

I will be at The Crimea before the game on Sunday handing our leaflets and joining forms so feel free to pop down for a chat or post any questions here. Membership is £10 for the season and will be collected at the bar.

COYS
Well done/said Chris.

Durham Shot

Post by Durham Shot » Sat May 14, 2022 8:48 am

Is this new Phoenix supporters club not just the result of a power struggle set up by the previous chairman of the official supporters club?

Superdroop

Post by Superdroop » Sat May 14, 2022 12:11 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:05 pm
Superdroop - Forgive my ignorance but I thought the trust had been wound up as a "supporters club" entity? I appreciate the trust still have a Sunday league team, I played for them for a season. Played is a strong word, I ran about for 10mins off the bench but that's by the by...
?? I have not a clue anymore..... Should be called Aldershot Fc then :D

Ingore Me....
If it moves wiggle it

TracoShot

Post by TracoShot » Sat May 14, 2022 4:18 pm

I’d like to support the club/supporters club in any way I can but am confused now. Could someone please explain the difference between the two groups we now appear to have.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat May 14, 2022 4:33 pm

TracoShot wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:18 pm
I’d like to support the club/supporters club in any way I can but am confused now. Could someone please explain the difference between the two groups we now appear to have.
And that Traco in your one sentence perfectly sums up the problem with having two groups and why I suggested earlier in the thread that rather than start another supporters club it could be more beneficial for all parties to have ChrisW join up with the actual Supporters Club as his enthusiasm and ideas would I am sure be welcomed.

From the clubs point of view it makes no real difference how many supporter groups there are if they are all looking to fund raise and do things to support the club though some fund raising particularly events could be more profitable if both organisations shared the costs. However if you want a supporters club that represents the supporters interests and to raise issues on their behalf and act in a representative manner (Which I believe a supporters club should do) then it does get confusing for supporters if they don't know which group to talk to.

However as I also said earlier full credit to ChrisW for wanting to step up to plate and take something like this on so whilst I may "suggest" a merging would be better I certainly wouldn't want to be negative about anyone wanting to help both the club and its supporters in whatever way he or others may choose.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time

ChrisW

Post by ChrisW » Sat May 14, 2022 5:51 pm

If I am to be upfront I think Durham has hit the nail on the head. There was issues between members in the previous (but still just as current) which lead to some members leaving and setting up a new club. I wasn't part of the other supporters club and therefore don't really know what went on. I was asked to join as it was felt the other committee didn't have a great age balance and as a younger shots fan perhaps I could bring a different dynamic.

I cant see two supporters clubs existing forever, I agree it doesn't seem to make much sense. We are here now and I'm strapped in for the ride. I have no intention of getting into a slagging match with anyone from the other side. As many have said, the goals are probably the same!

As above, I'll be at the crimea before the game handing out joining forms. Happy to chat to anyone, even if you don't want to join. Do forgive me for trying to sign you up regardless :lol:

Sean Chambers

Post by Sean Chambers » Mon May 16, 2022 4:20 pm

Superdroop wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:11 pm
ChrisW wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:05 pm
?? I have not a clue anymore..... Should be called Aldershot Fc then :D

Ingore Me....
https://www.shotstrust.co.uk/