REMINDER RE £12/£2 TICKETS FOR SUNDAY

lowerbourneshot
Re: REMINDER RE £12/£2 TICKETS FOR SUNDAY

Post by lowerbourneshot » Sat May 14, 2022 11:32 am

This argument will go on and on . If the club had agreed to sell discounted tickets every game next season up till Thursday Midnight people would still complain that it wasn't till Friday . I'm all for paying on the gate,but that will never return .

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat May 14, 2022 11:38 am

Fuggletim wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:14 am
No need to be confused Richard 🙂 The point(s) I am making is that I would be happy to pay in advance (even taking the potential risk I won’t be able to actually make the game) but that facility was not available at the club shop. Why go to the shop? Well I like to speak with a human being, hand over £12 cash and I get a round trip of about 3000 steps to add to my daily tally! 😆

I have stated on here before that I dislike online card transactions because following the BA data breach a few years ago I had some seriously difficult times trying to get back a substantial amount of my money that was stolen. I also, generally resent being “forced” to make card payments and believe it should my choice.

That said, I still believe that if an offer is going to be made, it should extend right the way through and be available to everyone right up to KO.
Thanks Fuggletim, now you have reminded me I do remember you saying previously that you had got caught up in the BA data breach. Just a suggestion and I have no knowledge of what the response might be but if something similar comes up in the future speak to Matt in the ticket office to see if a "One off" purchase could be made in a way that would satisfy your concerns over using the online payments. I have no sway on things like that and maybe there wouldn't be a way round it but I know how helpful and considerate Matt is in trying to help people so its always worth the call.
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time

Superdroop

Post by Superdroop » Sat May 14, 2022 12:03 pm

lowerbourneshot wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:32 am
I'm all for paying on the gate,but that will never return .
My little story from the other weekends Party.

A Man over from New York, got Cash to buy his drinks. But he didn't understand why the british are (kind of) making people buy with cards as he said to me 'In New York most people use Cash'.

Do the Americans know something we don't?
If it moves wiggle it

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Sat May 14, 2022 12:25 pm

The man from New York would not like Sweden, virtually nowhere do they take cash. Since covid I think we are beginning to move that way, I rarely used a credit card but now I use it all the time even for quite tiny amounts.

DH

Post by DH » Sat May 14, 2022 1:47 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:04 am
The principle of booking something early to get a better price is probably one of the most common sales incentives across all industries and something that we all experience on a regular basis.

However being more specific to us one of the reasons that any entertainment venue be it a football match, concert, Ice Hockey, Tennis or whatever offers an early booking discount is so that they know how many people are going to that event in time for them to make all the necessary arrangements regarding staffing, catering etc....

If the club left the price available until the day itself then where would be the incentive for people to book early and commit to coming. With that lack of knowledge what does the club do about stewarding does it pay for stewards based on normal attendance figures and hope that no one extra comes to the game or do they gamble on what they think the extra numbers will be. If they get it wrong and not as many as predicted turn up then they end up paying for staffing that they don't need or much worse more supporters turn up than the club has stewards for then which would mean that once the predicted figure had been reached the turnstiles would be closed and anyone that hadn't already got in would have to miss the game. Stewards have to be booked at least 24 hours before the day of the game, you cant just ring an agency and get someone down on the day.

Also from a marketing point of view the earlier you can sell the tickets the better to get guaranteed increased numbers as for every person who might commit to coming on the day there will be others who may decide not too.

All of what you've said is fine however, context is helpful.

If you have a stadium with a finite number of attendees permitted and considerably more who want to attend then the scenario you described makes perfect sense and indeed would be essential.

Realistically though, in our situation, how many more people would we add to the gate this Sunday by keeping the price at £12? I would venture that it would not be enough to make a difference to the catering and stewarding requirements.

Definitely not having a go at the club and pleased for those who have got a cheap ticket but I still maintain the offer could have been extended up until kick-off without causing any issues.

redblueuptoyou

Post by redblueuptoyou » Sat May 14, 2022 2:06 pm

Superdroop wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:03 pm
lowerbourneshot wrote:

A Man over from New York, got Cash to buy his drinks. But he didn't understand why the british are (kind of) making people buy with cards as he said to me 'In New York most people use Cash'.

I wonder if the US tipping culture has something to do with that? Easier to buy a drink and pop a dollar in the jar or back with the change?

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sat May 14, 2022 2:09 pm

I've not been to the States for a while, as I remember they don't have a massive debit card usage, the majority of their plastic transactions done on credit cards, though that may well have changed.

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 14, 2022 2:11 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:38 am
Fuggletim wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:14 am
No need to be confused Richard 🙂 The point(s) I am making is that I would be happy to pay in advance (even taking the potential risk I won’t be able to actually make the game) but that facility was not available at the club shop. Why go to the shop? Well I like to speak with a human being, hand over £12 cash and I get a round trip of about 3000 steps to add to my daily tally! 😆

I have stated on here before that I dislike online card transactions because following the BA data breach a few years ago I had some seriously difficult times trying to get back a substantial amount of my money that was stolen. I also, generally resent being “forced” to make card payments and believe it should my choice.

That said, I still believe that if an offer is going to be made, it should extend right the way through and be available to everyone right up to KO.
Thanks Fuggletim, now you have reminded me I do remember you saying previously that you had got caught up in the BA data breach. Just a suggestion and I have no knowledge of what the response might be but if something similar comes up in the future speak to Matt in the ticket office to see if a "One off" purchase could be made in a way that would satisfy your concerns over using the online payments. I have no sway on things like that and maybe there wouldn't be a way round it but I know how helpful and considerate Matt is in trying to help people so its always worth the call.
Thanks for the suggestion Richard. 🙂

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm

redblueuptoyou wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:06 pm
Superdroop wrote:
lowerbourneshot wrote:

I wonder if the US tipping culture has something to do with that? Easier to buy a drink and pop a dollar in the jar or back with the change?
A lot of businesses (well some anyway) latched onto the rather flimsy and not really proven “evidence” that somehow cash spread COVID. Well I often wondered if I would catch it by picking it up off a shelf after it had been put there by someone else and then handing it to a cashier to scan to hand back to me might have also assisted “ transmission?” The handling of the cash was a sideshow and these same businesses realised it would really just cut their costs and needs to maintain a cash float etc. I will say though, a few returned back to a common sense approach.

It has become more ridiculous where I work as they converted (without even consulting anyone) our 2 x vending machines at work to “Card only.” Who is going to pay 85p on their card for a bag of “Monster Munch?” Not me, and since the change has been made, I have not seen one person bother to use either machine, whereas it was busy all the time prior to the changeover.

I have a simple mantra; You don’t give me the choice how I want to pay; I will take my business elsewhere. I am not going to be forced into using a method of payment I don’t want to and particularly for low value purchases.

Ok, rant over and I am going to my local pub now where cash is still king! 😉🍺💷

Fuggletim

Post by Fuggletim » Sat May 14, 2022 2:29 pm

Hi Richard,

Thanks for PM. I have replied 🙂

Triggers Broom

Post by Triggers Broom » Sat May 14, 2022 3:37 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:53 am
Fuggletim wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:46 am
Thing is though Richard, is that if it can be done in the first place, why not make it available for everyone right up to KO particularly when the club are encouraging people to get there early? If the reasoning is to predict crowds etc, why wasn’t the offer extended to sales at the club offices? Why just online? I have been in Aldershot for work purposes this week and could easily have gone to buy in advance.

Like I said, it is a great gesture by the club and I will be there (almost certainly whatever I end up paying) but I think there is a genuine point here why some are unhappy.
Genuinely confused Fuggletim not being difficult I promise, if you were actually happy to buy in advance why would you want to go to the bother (even if you were in Aldershot already) to go to club shop rather than just purchase it online ?
By not giving supporters the option to purchase tickets in person, the club are missing out on potential sales of other items from the club shop. Personally speaking, I have bought things on impulse before now when in the club shop.

Turnkey

Post by Turnkey » Sat May 14, 2022 3:45 pm

Richard Petty wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:33 am
On a completely different tack to my previous post which was about factual reasoning regarding the clubs management of the promotion I am now going to give my own personal and more emotional view on the whole subject (I appreciate some people will no doubt find fault with this) which is that some people seem to have completely ignored the fact that this is a discount, a give away, a gift, a present not a right.

After a difficult season that has tested all of us (me included) the club has decided on the last day of the season to sacrifice some income to give something back to the supporters and to create a bit of a party atmosphere which may or may not bring some new people along or perhaps may bring some back, this is something positive and in the main most people seem to get that. But why is it that every time the club does something positive like this there are always some people who just want more and more instead of just accepting it in the spirit of "Great offer, it doesn't specifically work for me but I am happy that many others can benefit".
I get where you are coming from Richard, but a big play has been made that this is a thank you to fans who stuck by the club through a difficult season, so really should be open to ALL fans, not just the lucky ones that have the ability to be able to book in advance. Not everyone works 9-5, and not everyone can guarantee going home when their shift is supposed to end hence many people having to leave a decision to attend until the last minute. I just think this should have been available up until kickoff time to give those people maximum opportunity to benefit from what is a great deal. As to your own situation in the Lounge, I would have hoped that in recognition of yours, and others, continued support, the club could have offered a free drink so there is some acknowledgement of that.

Richard Petty

Post by Richard Petty » Sat May 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Turnkey wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:45 pm
Richard Petty wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 10:33 am
On a completely different tack to my previous post which was about factual reasoning regarding the clubs management of the promotion I am now going to give my own personal and more emotional view on the whole subject (I appreciate some people will no doubt find fault with this) which is that some people seem to have completely ignored the fact that this is a discount, a give away, a gift, a present not a right.

After a difficult season that has tested all of us (me included) the club has decided on the last day of the season to sacrifice some income to give something back to the supporters and to create a bit of a party atmosphere which may or may not bring some new people along or perhaps may bring some back, this is something positive and in the main most people seem to get that. But why is it that every time the club does something positive like this there are always some people who just want more and more instead of just accepting it in the spirit of "Great offer, it doesn't specifically work for me but I am happy that many others can benefit".
I get where you are coming from Richard, but a big play has been made that this is a thank you to fans who stuck by the club through a difficult season, so really should be open to ALL fans, not just the lucky ones that have the ability to be able to book in advance. Not everyone works 9-5, and not everyone can guarantee going home when their shift is supposed to end hence many people having to leave a decision to attend until the last minute. I just think this should have been available up until kickoff time to give those people maximum opportunity to benefit from what is a great deal. As to your own situation in the Lounge, I would have hoped that in recognition of yours, and others, continued support, the club could have offered a free drink so there is some acknowledgement of that.
To be honest Turnkey although this Sunday is a one off promotion and therefore nothing to do with next season I am actually more than happy enough that the prices for next years hospitality renewals have been frozen. Catering and staffing costs will without doubt be more expensive next season so I was actually anticipating that the club might need to raise the prices slightly, so paying the same as last year is enough of a thank you for me. :D
The old saying goes "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you will never please all the people all the time." In fact sometimes it seems impossible to even please some of the people any of the time

hepcat

Post by hepcat » Sat May 14, 2022 4:41 pm

Superdroop wrote:
lowerbourneshot wrote:

We'll eventually go back to cash as absolutely everything in life goes 'round in a circle with each new generation thinking they've invented something or are the first to it.
For example....The wonderful 50's....people sent there grocery order to the local shop who filled it out and delivered. This died a death in the 70's and was gone by the 80's as everyone drove to the Supermarket and bought their weeks food, BUT!!! By 2020 the order from the shop and get it delivered is back big time-worth hundreds of millions thanks to this "New and never before thought of service"!! BANKS!! They ALL used to open at 9.30 and close at 15.30 so nobody working could use them, Mon-Fri only. After years of open 9 to 5.30 and half of Saturday we are now back to mon-fri 9.30-3.30 under the guise that we're all on line ! (Wait for the monthly fee for no service at all returns as it was until the mid 80's!) Even football is considering going back to terracing. Just as you enter the world as a helpless bald toothless dribbling new born and leave it as a helpless bald toothless dribbling geriatric

Ian Rust

Post by Ian Rust » Sat May 14, 2022 5:06 pm

I think you’re right Hepcat, but perhaps not in the way you envisage;

Yes cash will die completely within the next 5 years for sure. Personally I don’t carry cash or cards and use only my phone, but I think that will be superseded by body chip technology within 20 years.

And yes I think ‘cash’ of some description will return within the next 20 years, but not as main stream legal tender. Some sort of tokens (not necessarily physical units) will pop up for sure, initially to serve the black market (tax avoidance) and then developing as an generally accepted alternative to main stream ‘official’ digital tender.