Dr Jim's Mickey Mouse Ratings

Dr Jim Royle
Dr Jim's Mickey Mouse Ratings

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 am

Three games to go and folk still trying to work out points needed (or not), best place to finish, are we better to be at home or away ……. Folks, we are in April and still in the mix, surely this is what we wanted at the very beginning of the season, maybe though we wanted our b*ms not to be so squeaky !

Yesterday due to Tuesday’s results we had a bit of a free hit, any positive type result would be a bonus …… instead as in the last six months we faltered when in good place to create some breathing space. Certainly it wasn’t our worst performance by any means, in truth we never looked like scoring, at best for 65 minutes we looked like we could contain. Then comes two different errors and we are easily punished, story of our season really, if we do not score first there is a damned good chance we are gonna lose. Personally I thought Tranmere looked the better team throughout, stronger physically, prepared to play two up front all the game with view that goals win games. Our formation often means we look a team that can snatch a goal or maybe two on a good day, for me as much as Gary likes to play a certain way I’m not convinced it’ll ever win us this league, where we are in terms of league place is as good as its gonna get. But it can be nice on the eye.

4-3-3

WARD 7 – Another stunning save in the first half, could do little preventing the goals.

KINSELLA 6 – Steady but no real link up play with McQuoid of any note going forward.

EVANS 7 – Found it hard to really pull one player out of the hat for our MOTM, but for us Will maybe just shaded it. Happy for folk to challenge us Ratings mob on this.

REYNOLDS 6 – Let us not dwell nor be blind, awful error for their second goal.

ALEXANDER 7 – Better game defensively, distribution could have been better.

KELLERMAN 6 – Became the home crowd villain and booed off when subbed, that got him an extra point for me as at least he was noticed for his work. I noticed he went in half heartedly for one challenge in second half which ultimately led to their first goal.

OYELEKE 6 – Bit magnolia as often unnoticed, got through plenty of work but again like so many some scrappy end product passing.

McDONNELL 6 – Ditto other guys in midfield, it was an area I thought attacking wise we created so very little for our forwards to feed off.

TALYOR 5 – It is always going to be harsh when our more attacking players see so little of the ball in the final third. That said he created very little threat going forward just finding blind alleys and the solid block that is McNulty.

KAMBAMBA 6 – He really did try and had at best two central defenders that were very street wise on him all game. He never gave up but the lad is no lone up front striker, he will only ever look really potent alongside another forward playing much closer to him.

McQUOID 5 – Mirror game of that had by BJT. Look he is big and physical but out wide carries no forward threat at all. He may well be a decent player but in our formation gives us so little.

SUBS

FENELON & McCLURE – Let us just say made no difference in play.

SUMMARY

Glad to hear Gary has dropped the usual cliché of “one result at a time” and inserted “move on, our next two games are vital”. Truth is should have been saying it the last three months as the club cannot afford to buy the oil needed for squeaky b*ms. As our Soothsayer, Mango, added to the Ratings Panel home journey debate, “Gentlemen our play off games have started early, wanna stay in the mix then only wins will do. Happy to rely on others failing then buy plenty of your own WD40 to resolve squeaks”.
Now we are all going to say we need to be more attack minded, goals win games, our opinion is we should ………….. Gang, save your breath, Gary & James are not going to change a thing now in our playing shape, it’ll be one up front then mix the five behind as they see fit. Their headache is creating the right balance to win a game and that is proving so hard to get right. Any team that is bigger physically than us seem to use that advantage to their benefit; we struggle against teams that are happier not letting a game of football break out. So fellow Shots fans get down to Halford’s where I believe WD40 is on offer, buy a can a game and enjoy the roller coaster that is of our quest to get to Wembley.

COYS.

PS - Cannot make Tuesday due to working in the lovely Stoke HQ, some lazy a*sed fan can do the Ratings please in my absence, the good news is Albatross Mr B also not there !!

86/87 Glory Year
Re: Dr Jim's Mickey Mouse Ratings

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:43 am

Kellermann not known for bottling tackles. Hope he doesn’t learn his lesson by creating his former self and getting a red card in the next game.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:48 am

Kellermann not known for bottling tackles. Hope he doesn’t learn his lesson by creating his former self and getting a red card in the next game.
It was half hearted more than bottled. Been better if he'd not challenge at all as ball just pinged off him straight to their danger man Cole, who went through the middle like hot knife through butter then laid on great pass for their first goal.

But I will add, Jim was my POTY, sadly since back from injury hasn't hit the heights of his previous form yet. He'll come good.

MickeyP

Post by MickeyP » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 am

The biggest disappointment for me was Jimbo didn’t look bothered tracking back after his error

Jason

Post by Jason » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:37 am

MickeyP wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 am
The biggest disappointment for me was Jimbo didn’t look bothered tracking back after his error
Big difference between not being bothered and not having the legs to. Don't forget he hasn't long since been back from an injury. There were plenty still plenty of chance for others to stop that scenario leading to a goal.

Bear

Post by Bear » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am

Agree with most of that but I thought Cheye had a dreadful game. Offered nothing going forward, and his distribution was very poor. A lot of their attacking threat came down our right and him and Mcquoid were our weak link.

Mcclure should have started as I think he would have have Kabamba more support than BJT who I'd rather see as an impact sub. I think Gallagher may have shaken things up a bit too.

I don't think we deserved anything but I think Tranmere were nothing special other than their forwards who are a handful. They had the referee on their side throughout too which helped them. I think neither side looked as good as last season, nor do I think the league is as strong as previous seasons.

Still, it's great to be in the mix and a bonus that other results went our way again... We win our last 3 games, we'll be one home game from Wembley....

86/87 Glory Year

Post by 86/87 Glory Year » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am

Shame we don’t have Benyu and Mensah this season would make all the difference at this stage. Actually, just noticed Mensah not even on the squad yesterday v Blackburn. Please tell me he’s injured??

Alf W

Post by Alf W » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:50 am

Mostly agree with the good doctor. Thought Evans easily our best player but thought Cheye is off form at present and gave the ball away frequently. Tranmere nothing special but badly missing the inspiration from Benyu/Mensah/Kanu this season with Rowe flattering to deceive. Now 2 massive games

Anon E Mouse

Post by Anon E Mouse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:30 am

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am
Shame we don’t have Benyu and Mensah this season would make all the difference at this stage. Actually, just noticed Mensah not even on the squad yesterday v Blackburn. Please tell me he’s injured??
Kanu had a rare outing for the Posh (where has be been). They lost though, so no doubt will be dropped again next week. Both Kanu and Mensah should move on in the summer (decent league 2 team maybe) and try to get their careers back on track.

Plastic shot

Post by Plastic shot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:51 pm

Bear wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:06 am
Agree with most of that but I thought Cheye had a dreadful game. Offered nothing going forward, and his distribution was very poor. A lot of their attacking threat came down our right and him and Mcquoid were our weak link.

Mcclure should have started as I think he would have have Kabamba more support than BJT who I'd rather see as an impact sub. I think Gallagher may have shaken things up a bit too.

I don't think we deserved anything but I think Tranmere were nothing special other than their forwards who are a handful. They had the referee on their side throughout too which helped them. I think neither side looked as good as last season, nor do I think the league is as strong as previous seasons.

Still, it's great to be in the mix and a bonus that other results went our way again... We win our last 3 games, we'll be one home game from Wembley....
Think Alexander is finding a bit of form TBH..
Boreham Wood & Maidenhead, barring Eastleigh (where everyone were off that game) were games where I thought he was getting some better form!
Cheye was one of our better players on the day. Mcquoid didn’t offer anything at All..
Alexander was having to put up with dealing with their left back, left mid & striker! If you noticed, when Mcquoid went forward he just didn’t bother getting back into position with Manny or McDonnell having to come across to cover! This happened far to often..Even happened to Kinsella too, especially once Cole came on for them,
He did put a few passes astray, but would add that he was a good outlet and put in some good early crosses..
Thought the back four did well on the day considering!!

chimpster99

Post by chimpster99 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:15 pm

[quote]we struggle against teams that are happier not letting a game of football break out. [/quote]
Sums it up for me. This time last year we had the skill and guile to take those teams apart, this year we don’t.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:39 pm

Mostly agree with your summary Dr but Bear is quite right - Cheye was poor yesterday, particularly his distribution. He wasn’t the only one but several of Tranmere’s swift counter attacks started from our misplaced passes. Annoyingly both goals came from our mistakes not a result of sustained pressure.
But Tranmere were physically stronger than us and I never felt we were going to get anything from yesterday’s game. Tranmere must be kicking themselves for their poor start - they have a very streetwise squad in a fairly average League.They must be strong favourites in the play offs.
We shouldn’t be too critical of our team though - we are still in the mix despite not having that creative focal point that Benyu provided this time last year. My one concern is how we don’t get enough bodies into the opposing box when in good attacking positions. Consequently I would have Jake in the team because he has been busting a gut to get on to the end of things recently and he lifts the team (and fans) by his indefatigable spirit. We need that ‘on the front foot’ approach in the next two home games. COYS

EV

Post by EV » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:50 pm

Funny how differently we see players, thought Cheye was very good defensively yesterday, put in some sound tackles, cleared off the line to prevent a goal and covered others mistakes at times.

Dr Jim Royle

Post by Dr Jim Royle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 am

Love being challenged on the Ratings, however I can see where folk are coming from regarding Che.But still think he defended well, he always plays better attack wise with Shamir in front of him.

So many players produced some very poor passing Saturday, sometimes they over elaborate in trying to unlock defences when often the simple ball is better option (look at Tranmere's first goal)

Unlike quite a few, I do not think this league is distinctly average this season at all. I actually think so many teams have improved their squads thus making it far harder among say the top twelve current teams.

Desertshot

Post by Desertshot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 am

86/87 Glory Year wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:10 am
Not injured (so I'm reliably informed) he's been given his chance but hasn't performed. Imo he didn't look at his best for us a month or so before he left, either because he knew he was leaving or his injury had taken longer to heal. It's a great shame that this had happened to three players who were excellent for us and would have made a massive difference to our season...can you imagine this team with those 3 in it!!! What a waist of talent :-( You can't blame the players as they all quite understandably want to achieve the most they can in the very short time they have to play pro football.